Thursday, November 5, 2009

Saxon Double Braided Scarf



Here's the pattern for one of my all-time favorite projects! This is a pattern that I designed based off of a saxon braid pattern that I found in "99 Knit Stitches". Don't be intimidated by it...it's really not that challenging! I wrote this pattern 6 months after learning how to knit so it's a good one for newer cablers but probably not as a first cabled project)

Saxon Double Braided Scarf
Materials:
Size 7 Knitting Needles
Cabling Hook
300-400yds of worsted weight yarn, depending on desired length
Gauge:
16 stitches and 14 rows= 2 inch square in Saxon Braid
Directions:
Cast on 48 stitches on size 7 needles
*[…] indicates a cable/braid to help you keep track of where you are in the pattern
Row 1: P2, K2, [P6], K2, [K2, P4, (K4, P4)twice, K2], K2, [P6], K2, P2
Row 2 (right side): K2, P2, [K6], P2, [P2, C4B, (P4, C4B)twice, P2], P2, [K6], P2, K2
Row 3: P2, K2, [PCB, P2], K2, [K2, P4, (K4, P4)twice, K2], K2, [PCB, P2], K2, P2
Row 4: K2, P2, [K6], P2, [P1, T3B, (T4F, T4B)twice, T3F, P1], P2, [K6], P2, K2
Row 5: P2, K2, [P6], K2, [K1, P2, K3, P4, K4, P4, K3, P2, K1], K2, [P6], K2, P2
Row 6: K2, P2, [K6], P2, [T3B, P3, C4F, P4, C4B, P3, T3F], P2, [K6], P2, K2
Row 7: P2, K2, [P2, PCF], K2, [P2, K4, (P4, K4)twice, P2], K2, [P2, PCF], K2, P2
Row 8: K2, P2, [K6], P2, [K2, P3, T3B, T4F, T4B, T3F, P3, K2], P2, [K6], P2, K2
Row 9: P2, K2, [P6], K2, [(P2, K3)twice, P4, (K3, P2)twice], K2, [P6], K2, P2
Row 10: K2, P2, [K6], P2, [(K2, P3)twice, C4B, (P3, K2)twice], P2, [K6], P2, K2
Row 11: P2, K2, [PCB, P2], K2, [(P2, K3)twice, P4, (K3, P2)twice], K2, [PCB, P2], K2, P2
Row 12: K2, P2, [K6], P2, [K2, P3, T3F, T4B, T4F, T3B, P3, K2], P2, [K6], P2, K2
Row 13: P2, K2, [P6], K2, [P2, K4, (P4, K4)twice, P2], K2, [P6], K2, P2
Row 14: K2, P2, [K6], P2, [T3F, P3, C4F, P4, C4B, P3, T3B], P2, [K6], P2, K2
Row 15: P2, K2, [P2, PCF], K2, [K1, P2, K3, P4, K4, P4, K3, P2, K1], K2, [P2, PCF], K2, P2
Row 16: K2, P2, [K6], P2, [P1, T3F, (T4B, T4F)twice, T3B, P1], P2, [K6], P2, K2
Repeat rows 1-16 until scarf reaches desired length. Add fringe if desired.

KEY:
PCB: Purl cable back (my own abbreviation): Slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold in back of work. P2 from left needle, P2 from cable needle
PCF: Purl cable forward (my own abbreviation): Slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold in front of work, P2 from left needle, P2 from cable needle
C4B: Cable four back: Slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold in back of work, K2 from left needle, K2 from cable needle
C4F: Cable four front: Slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold in front of work, K2 from left needle, K2 from cable needle
T3F: Twist 3 front: Slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold in front of work, P1 from left needle, K2 from cable needle
T3B: Twist 3 back: Slip next st onto cable needle and hold in back of work, K2 from left needle, P1 from cable needle
T4F: Twist 4 front: Slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold in front of work, P2 from left needle, K2 from cable needle
T4B: Twist 4 back: Slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold in back of work, K2 from left needle, P2 from cable needle

22 comments:

  1. This is my first time writing a pattern, so if you have any tips please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

    2. Is the gauge supposed to be a 4 inch gauge or a 2 inch. Because you put = 2 inch cable. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, it looks great and i'd love to try knitting it, do you have a chart for it by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't have a chart for it. Honestly I have never used one before. I'll look into one and try to get one posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have updated the pattern. Row 4 was changed. I accidentally typed T3F when it should be T4F. Just a heads up if anyone has started on the pattern before 11/14

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the odd row numbers I was wondering when you say PCF do you mean to put the cable needle toward the front of where you are working which would mean towards your body or do you mean put it behind it so that it is on the "front side" of the scarf? I'm asking because I'm only on my second set of rows, but the little chains on both sides are not looking as defined as I think they should. I'm wondering if maybe I'm bringing the cable needle to the front (which is technically the wrong side) or if it will turn out okay after a few more rows. Any thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Pris

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT JOB on the instruction. This was one of the few patterns I could follow and actually understand. I whipped it out with no problems :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this pattern! I made a chart out of it, because I like those better, and discovered 2 mistakes. In order for it to be an actual saxon braid, this should be altered:

    Row 6: [T3B, P3, C4F, P4, C4B, P3, T3F] should be [T3B, P3, C4F, P4, C4F, P3, T3F]

    Row 14: [T3F, P3, C4F, P4, C4B, P3, T3B] should be [T3F, P3, C4F, P4, C4F, P3, T3B]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this pattern! This is just the perfect Celtic knot I was looking for, and your instructions are clear and easy to follow. I'm not finished yet, but so far it's looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to give this a whirl. (with the help of my aunt of course) for my first knitting project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this scarf and the instructions are very practical. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was checking the comments and I saw someone write that row 6 and row 14 has a little mistake please let me know if this person is right.

      Delete
    2. Nearly two years later and finally someone is responding. The pattern works either way BUT the person who made corrections to rows 6 & 14 noticed that the original pattern had one cable going OVER three other cables rather than going over-under-over the three cables as one would expect it to do. The corrected version, er, corrects this.

      Delete
  11. Hi , I too love this pattern but am curious to if what the girl said about rows 6 and 14 are correct?? please let me know

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks super - could you tell me - what does the reverse look like?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I've been looking for this pattern all over the Internet and this is the only free one I found. However, English is not my native language and I don't know what these shortcuts mean. Can you please explain them (P2, K2 etc.)? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P2 - Purl 2
      K2 - Knit 2
      I think everything else is defined in the key at the bottom of the pattern. Happy knitting!

      Delete
  14. Is there a video tutorial anywhere for this pattern?? I work easier when there's a video to check whether or not I'm doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just printed the pattern, and it doesn't look like rows 6 and 14 were changed. Not sure if you wanted to make those changes or now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete